Wednesday, May 14, 2008

MOOD JEWELRY

No, not mood rings, the huge fashion fad of the 1970's, but jewelry that you can change depending on what style mood strikes you! Like most of my great ideas, this piece was inspired by a combination of creativity and an accidental thought.

"It's only black when you're around, because you put me in a bad mood"
~ Vada, "My Girl"

My BeadStyle project for May was a chrysoprase necklace, bracelet, and earrings set. However, I've had this ocean jasper donut pendant burning a hole in my bead box since January when I bought it in the city. I've finally found a strand of ocean jasper beads I like, so I decided to make a jasper necklace and bracelet set for my May project instead. Since I'm becoming bored with the traditional back clasp, I decided to make a front clasp for the necklace. Ok, so it's nothing like the May project of the month.

I wrapped my pendant in silver plated copper wire and turned it into an all in one pendant and front clasp. Instead of using a hook and eye clasp in the back, I made two hook clasps to join together at the donut. Using my left over beads I made a matching bracelet. The ocean jasper has hints of lilac and gray, so I used lilac, gray, and silver colored glass beads as spacers.


While taking pictures of the set I realized, "Wow, that is a really long necklace." For some reason I wanted to see if it could wrap around the neck twice comfortably.... Not so much. I don't know what compelled me but I attached the bracelet to see if the two together would be a better length - And it worked! Of course the bracelet was a slightly different variation of the pattern. I cut the bracelet and restrung it to match the pattern of the necklace to see if this could actually work. Here is what I came up with:

Style I: Front Clasping Donut Pendant Necklace with Matching Bracelet
Which was the look I was going for in the first place.

The necklace is hooked to the wire wrapped jasper donut pendant clasp in the front from both ends of the necklace. The bracelet is worn as a bracelet.


Style II: Traditional Back Clasping Necklace with Matching Bracelet
The two hooks of the necklace hook at the center of the back of the neck. The donut clasp is not used at all. Its basically a long plain string of ocean jasper with a bracelet to match.


Style III: Wrap-Around Choker Necklace with Donut Pendant
This is my favorite.

The hook of the bracelet is attached to the donut pendant clasp, then one end of the necklace is hooked into the "eye" end of the bracelet. The other end of the necklace is wrapped around the neck and hooked into the donut pendant clasp. The choker strand may need some minor shifts and adjustments to center the pendant in the front and the back clasp in the back.


To purchase this from my Etsy shop you can click on any of the pictures in this post, or simply click here. Free shipping world-wide if you mention this blog post in the comments to the seller.

3 comments:

Homespun Mama said...

Mmmm...I have to say my fav is style I. I think the pink speaks to me. What a girl I am :)

A Keeper's Jackpot said...

I'm not a big fan of pink, myself, but this is a lilac, purplish grayish shade... so thats OK :)

Besides, who doesn't like jasper!

Lisa said...

Brilliant - it's so much easier to justify buying jewelry when it can be worn a variety of ways!