Friday, May 22, 2009

Bike and Hike: Warren County Bike Trail to French Mountain

It was brought to my attention recently that there is a trail up French Mountain accessible from the Warren County Bike Trail. Sister and I jumped on the bike trail by the Cooper's Cave ice cream window in Glens Falls and rode toward Lake George. After crossing Rt 149, you go about a mile, and on the right there are some rocks painted blue and an arrow pointing right off of the bike trail. This is near the large rock with the Russian flag painted on it, and it is just beyond the Colonel Williams Monument, which is on the left. Climb up the blue painted rocks and then follow the foot trail marked with blue blazes.



Start Here

It might be a half hour up the trail to the summit, and a relatively easy climb. The trees are a little overgrown at top, but you can see the newest ride at The Great Escape, the Tee-Pee, Uncle Sam, Prospect Mountain, the southern tip of Lake George, and other regional landmarks. There is not a bike rack at the trail head, so you will need to lock up on a tree.



Along the trail are places to stop and read about the history of the area, particularly its involvement in the French and Indian War. We decided that a bike and hike was enough exercise, so we didn't go all the way into Lake George this time. To see all of my pictures, click here.

2 comments:

storybeader said...

what fun! and it looks to be a nice day! Breaking in the new bike, eh?

A Keeper's Jackpot said...

Actually, this was the ride that I realized I needed a new bike! The old bike was decent on flat pavement but I was always struggling to keep up w/ Sister. She asked to trade bikes with me for a second and suddenly she was in the back, in disbelief that I had been riding that for so long. I was in disbelief that I could actually get around pretty fast on a different bike. The new one does much much better on dirt trails too. Muuuuch better.